art haus berlin

@ takt residency, Friedrichshain (taktberlin.org)
An artist residency. Bunch of complete strangers living together in Berlin making art.

Friday 19 July 2013

art: new vs old (drawing)

@ the Kupferstichkabinett 
(museum of prints and drawings, berlin)

To be a blunt pencil, I thought the exhibition of new drawings was crap. It's the kind of artwork which sounds quite beautiful when someone describes the ideas to you, but standing face to face in a white room, well- you feel a bit stupid. 

Line after- line after- line after- after line.. Void of human emotion makes a damn sobering effect. I'm thinking I should have worn beige or grey. But now I'm curious to meet the people behind these artists. Are they ocd (obsessive compulsive disorder)? Do they repeat their stories to their friends? What colours to they wear? How do they cut their sandwhiches (square, triangle, or not at all)?

Speaking about old art: a friend said "yeah but, once you've seen one, you've seen them all." 

Regardless, looking at these pamphlets I can't help returning to this girl's eyes. Perhaps its simple instinct reflexes, wanting to connect to other humans. But I do also emphasise with the inanimate, like when I drop my mobile on the ground or accidentally slam a door.